Wednesday, September 17, 2014

World News

For this assignment, I struggled to find inspiration from the countless newspaper articles about war, disease, death and other depressing stories. For days I tired to find a happy, uplifting article. It didn't  really happen. However, upon my quest to do so, I stumbled upon a video and short description of it from the Huffington Post. This video is about a man in Brooklyn who run around high-fiveing random strangers who have their arms extended in hopes of hailing a taxi. Although not a the "traditional" news article, this one story really stuck out to me because it showed how despite all the depressing events and news stories, their are people who are just trying to make other people laugh and make their day better. Even the people in the video who retracted their arms and started oddly at the man, they still always ended up smiling in the end.

With the assignment this week, I wanted to go out an capture the strangers around me, as well as the little things that are mundane yet make me smile. I focused on people just living their day to day lives and being generally happy, since we are all pursuing happiness in life. I also tried to focus on children because they are too young to know what ISIS or Ebola is and they don't have a care in the world, they're just trying to be happy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/high-five-new-york_n_5829392.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news


No comments:

Post a Comment